|Voting Tokenshow details +||1VT (VT)||Expired|
Sale Dates- The dates when this option is available for purchase.
Goes On Sale: March 2, 2021 10:20
Sales End: March 7, 2021 23:55
Access- This option allows access to the following dates and times.
- April 2, 2020 - April 2, 2030
15:10 - 17:00
I’d love to be the one to create bows for XCOM 2.
I would make bows of several tiers, conventional -> magnetic -> beam at the minimum, potentially with coil and laser tiers as well. With quivers, of course.
Bows would have relatively short range, and would not do a lot of damage per standard shot, but would not require reloading and would have an infinite supply of basic arrows. While it’s possible to set up a system of having a finite number of arrows that can be recovered and reused later, that doesn’t seem like it would serve an interesting purpose, while it would still take effort to make, and seems weird, considering regular soldiers can reload any number of times by default.
They would be stealthy weapons, allowing the soldier to engage enemies from concealment and stay concealed for longer.
I haven’t decided whether the bow would be a primary or a secondary weapon. I’d prefer to have it as a primary, but I might be unable to find suitable animations for the soldier running and standing with a bow. Similarly, I haven’t decided whether I will make the bow held in left (preferable) or right hand.
Shooting the bow would, of course, require making custom animations, and I’m fine with that.
Over the years I’ve been exposed to plenty of media that had cool bows and archers in them, including fantasy, modern or futuristic settings. Some of my favorites are:
- John Rambo and his explosive arrows and stealthy takedowns.
- Lars Andersen and his amazing trick shots and speed shooting. I’d love to create an ability where the soldier fires several shots while holding spare arrows in their draw hand.
- Crysis 3 bow that requires a powered exoskeleton to shoot. Could potentially make a weapon upgrade for bows that locks that bow to being usable only for soldiers with an EXO or WAR Suit and grant increased damage.
- Katniss Everdeen. She didn’t do anything particularly cool with a bow, at least in the first two movies I’ve seen, but her survival prowess is respectable. She did use a cable towed by an arrow to hit something with electricity, which seems pretty cool, though XCOM already does with with Skirmishers’ Whiplash ability.
- Uryu Ishida from Bleach with his spirit bow. Could potentially implement something like that as a Psionic Bow for Templars. Calling it a Soul Bow with a Soul Shot would be a nice homage to Lineage 2. Soul Rend sounds like a nice ability name as well.
- Various archer classes in World of Warcraft and Lineage 2.
Overall, plenty of places to draw inspiration from. Speaking of classes, I could potentially create a custom soldier class that uses a bow and a combat knife, with a mix of abilities from all of the sources above. That said, coming with both custom weapons *and* a custom soldier class would take a lot of time, so I’m not sure whether I want to do that. If I choose not to create a custom class, the prime candidate for getting bows would be, of course, Reapers and other stealth classes.
Could implement more special arrows other than explosive ones, though I would rather implement them as abilities rather than items. Also, it would probably be easier to just make bow attacks benefit from special ammo, like Dragon Rounds. No reason to reinvent the wheel, seeing as there is already a system of adding special effects to regular weapon attacks in this game.