Armored suit with dual weapons. Very hard to kill. Usually they specialize to fight against either infantry, vehicles or aircraft, but some of the AV weapons are quite effective against infantry as well. Like vehicles, require nanites to spawn.
MAXes can’t drive vehicles, capture points, overload generators, and can only be transported in a Galaxy, Sunderer, or a Harasser’s rumble seat.
Have 2000 health, but no shields. Have 80% small arms resistance, which can be increased up to 87.5% by Kinetic Armor suit slot, which translates into 10 000 to 16 000 effective health against carbines and similar weapons. For comparison, infantry targets have 900-1250 effective health.
Another suit slot is Flak Armor, MAX with full Flak Armor requires two C4 bricks to kill. One C4 brick otherwise. Flak Armor will also reduce damage from Tank Mines.
Medics can revive dead MAXes – which takes longer than usual, but their health can only be restored by an engineer or Auto-Repair suit slot, which regenerates their health when not under fire.
MAX units have two weapons, one for each arm. They can choose weapons independently, but usually use same weapons for both hands to specialize in one form of combat.
TR and VS MAX anti infantry weapons are effective up to 20-40m and function like machine guns. NC MAX AI weapons are shotguns, and decimate infantry in CQC, but ineffective at range and can’t sustain fire for long. Sometimes MAXes use AV weapons against infantry, because they can deliver massive damage even at longer ranges, albeit harder to aim.
All MAXes have access to Emergency Repair, which restores 20% health over 12 seconds, on a 45-60 sec cooldown, depending on rank.
Alternatively, MAXes can use faction specific abilities:
TR MAX can anchor himself to become immobile (read: C4, bullet and rocket magnet), but increase firepower greatly. Rarely used against infantry. Takes 2 seconds to deploy, and 1 second to undeploy.
VS MAX can use Zealot Overcharge Engine to become faster and deal up to 10% more damage at close range, but at the cost of receiving 20% more damage.
ZOE can be toggled on and off, and lasts up to 16/18/20/22/25 seconds and fully recharges over 60 seconds.
NC MAX can use Aegis Riot Shield to cover himself from frontal damage. Used when assaulting a base or to reload. Also, sticky and AV grenades do not stick to the MAX when Aegis Shield is active. Since Aegis Shield requires the MAX to face the damage source, it’s a golden opportunity for you to try to flank and C4 or just shoot the MAX in the back.
Fighting a MAX
- In a straight up one-on-one fight, it’s next to impossible to defeat a MAX. But MAXes can be gunned down by concentrated small arms fire, so be sure to stay near your allies when there are MAXes around (read: always).
- If you happen to be a Heavy Assault, you can dance around some cover, while firing your rocket launcher at the MAX, it will take several hits to kill him, though.
- You can try to lure the MAX on your C4, or try to approach him unseen and throw C4 under his feet.
- MAX units have loud, faction-specific footsteps, so you may detect by noise they’re making, much like with infiltrators.
- MAXes aren’t as fast as normal infantry, and take longer to accelerate to full speed when sprinting.
- MAXes tend to have problems engaging distant enemies, because they don’t have zoom, nor long-range anti infantry weaponry, so if all else fails, just stay as far away from them as possible.
- Take out their support – medics and engineers, then you and your allies can eventually whittle down the MAX. Hopefully.
- Large hit box. It’s relatively easy to hit a MAX with a rocket, which will take about a half of his health.
- Can be killed by luring them on Tank mines.