As you know, PlanetSide 2 has a voice chat system for communication within squads, platoons, outfits and simply with every player in proximity.
However, it’s a little known fact that players can create their own custom voice channels. This is useful for communicating with people in different squads, or when you need direct or private communication.
To create a custom voice channel, use the chat command:
/voice join channelname
Other players can use the same command to join your custom voice channel.
To speak in a custom voice channel, use the User Channel Voice Chat keybind, located in PlanetSide 2 keybind settings.
The end result will look something like this.
- Only players of the same faction and server can join a custom channel.
- Volume must be adjusted with numpad plus and minus, as there is no GUI for it
- You may encounter this error message when creating a custom channel, but it will still work properly.
- You will automatically leave voice channels when logging out.
- There is a /voice leave command, however it has not been proven to work yet
- Multiple voice channels cannot be joined at once (this may need more testing)
- Voice channels cannot be joined or created again once all users leave the channel, so it is a good idea to add a random number to the channel name and make one for each session (ex. today I might make /voice join testchannel20 to talk to my gunner, but tomorrow, when I come back, I might make /voice join testchannel21)